“Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one’s own sunshine.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
During the holidays we're bombarded with messages to buy, buy, buy with subtle and not so subtle messages that if we don't buy, we're not enough. At one time or another, many of us succumb to these pressures, often due to feelings of inadequacy and longing to be loved. Well, I'm here to tell you that you are enough. And not only are you enough, you're exactly who you're supposed to be.
One of my greatest joys as a yoga teacher is watching my students move their bodies and soften their faces as they look for their own individual space and freedom in the shapes we take in class. I can tell right away when they're feeling more spacious and free or when they're feeling more limited or self-conscious. I always hope they know how beautiful they are.
Alexandra Hope Flood mused about a "life handbook" that might be issued at birth. She said if there were such a thing, it might look like this:
1. You are a miracle. Never forget this fact. Just the science alone is mind blowing.
2. You are unique. No one will ever be as good at being you as you are. Seriously.
3. You are enough. Always. Never doubt this. There is nothing to add, but feel free to expand.
4. There is always more to learn, but that is not failure, it is a gift. It can be fun too.
5. Every obstacle is an opportunity to fall further into the miracle that is you.
6. Commit to being the best version of you every day. Recalibrate definition of “best” as needed.
7. Leave room for others when they fall off the wagon of their own miracle.
8. Forgive. Forgive. Forgive. Forgive every which way. Forgive him. Forgive her. Forgive you.
9. Compassion is the key to forgiveness. Compassion means you feel the humanity in others.
10.The more you forgive, the more you’ll enjoy being you, because the lighter your load will be.
11. In the end, as in the beginning: You. Are. Amazing.