PROTEINS, GRAINS, VEGGIES & EXTRAS
- Sweet Potatoes – unpeeled and cut into cubes, tossed with olive oil, kosher salt & cayenne pepper to taste and roasted for 25-30 min at 400 (or until lightly browned).
- Asparagus, Brussels Sprouts or Broccolini – trimmed and sliced, tossed with olive oil, kosher salt & cayenne pepper to taste and roasted for 25-30 min at 400 (or until lightly browned).
- Black Beans – canned, or dried and simmered
- Other Roasted Vegetables of Choice: beets, cauliflower, squash, spinach, chick peas...
- Cooked Grain of Choice – rice, quinoa, etc
- Protein of Choice – baby grouper or other fish, seasoned with olive oil, kosher salt & cayenne pepper and baked at 400 for 6-8 minutes, or until opaque and flaky; or salmon, tofu, sliced rare beef, etc,
- Extras: Salad greens and fixings, kale, nuts, seeds, avocados, etc
1. Green Sauce:
- 2 bunches cilantro, leaves and tender stems
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded if don't want a lot of heat
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar or juice of 1 lime or 1 lemon.
- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil (The Ginge uses less, dribbling in to suit taste/texture while processor runs.)
- Kosher salt & pepper to taste
Process in food processor until smooth and runny like a salad dressing.
2. Tahini Dressing:
- 1/3 cup well stirred tahini (the Ginge uses homemade*)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 to 6 Tablespoons lukewarm water
- pinch cumin
- pinch cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
Whisk tahini, garlic paste, lemon juice, olive oil and salt in a bowl until combined. The mixture will thicken but no biggie. Add the water, a Tablespoon at a time, whisking well until desired consistency. (For a sauce, should be like runny yogurt). Stir in spices and parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
*Homemade Tahini (sesame seed paste):
- 1 cup (5 ounces) sesame seeds, hulled
- 3 to 4 TB neutral flavored oil: grape seed, canola, avocado (my fav)
- pinch kosher salt
Toast the seeds: Add sesame seeds to a wide. dry saucepan over medium-low heat and toast, stirring constantly until the seeds become fragrant and very lightly colored (not brown), 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer toasted seeds to baking sheet to cool completely.
Add tahini seeds to food processor and process until a crumbly paste forms, about 1 minute. Add 3 Tablespoons of the oil and process 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl. Check consistency. It should be smooth, not gritty and it should be pourable. You may need to process for another minute and add the additional Tablespoon of oil. Taste and salt as needed.
Place rice in big bowl, top with protein, veggies & extras and drizzle with sauce. Place leftovers in fridge to use all week.
Bam. Bon Appetit.